Seeing your GP
Taking that first step
If you are experiencing joint pain, see your family doctor. They will be able to diagnose and treat your problem. They may prescribe medications or provide a referral to a specialist for further treatment if necessary.
Describing your condition
To help your doctor make a diagnosis, make a note of your answers to the following questions and bring them to your appointment.
- Where and when do you have pain?
- How long have you had this pain?
- Is there any redness or swelling around the joints?
- What daily tasks are hard to do now?
- Did you ever hurt the joint or overuse it?
- Does anyone in your family have similar problems?
- What other medical problems have you experienced, and how were these treated?
- What medications are you currently taking?
Sometimes it can be difficult to take in everything the doctor says, so it’s also a good idea to ask a family member or friend to come with you to your appointment. It may be a good idea if one of your takes notes of the answers.